2012年4月1日日曜日

Anne Frank

Anne Frank


(anne03.jpg)

A rare moving picture of

Anne Frank seen from window







(diane25.jpg)

Subj:London Theatre

Here We Come !



(covent06.jpg)

From: diane@vancouver.ca
To: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Sun, Feb 26, 2012 4:57 pm.
Pacific Standard Time


Hi Kato,

Wow! That was a quick response .. thanks so much.

I'll send you a postcard and we'll see how long it takes to get from London to Vancouver.



I always think it's such fun to receive a hard copy of something these days; so quaint, n'est-ce pas?
I'm really getting excited about the prospect of experiencing some new things to shake me out of my routines.
Not an easy task, as I'm sure you know.
So I'm sure this trip will be good for me.

Besides, I'll get to see how compatible my boyfriend and I are travel-wise.
We've already discussed some of our differences.
He is a news junky and likes to glue himself to the television, for instance, and I'm a fan of quiet home spaces.
He's agreed to watch TV in the bar downstairs or with headphones, so I'm relieved about that.


(headphone.jpg)

Otherwise, it should be fine, hopefully.
Time will tell, as they say.

I think you might be on to something with respect to the commonalities between Kate and Sabina.
It would be interesting to know if they were both abused as children.
This would, of course, explain a lot at least at a superficial level.
Good luck with your sleuthing.

See you when I return from visiting the Queen.

Hug for my truly loving Taliesin.

Ta, ta as they say in England,



Love, Diane ~




SOURCE: "Fatal Relation"
(Wed., March 14, 2012)

 




Subj:Hi, Diane

Have a great time

in London!



(diane35.jpg)

Date: Thu, Mar 29, 2012 10:43 pm
Pacific Daylight Saving Time
From: barclay1720@aol.com
To: diane3760@canada.ca


Hi, Diane

How's it going with your Chi Gong class?
I was very glad to see you at Joe Fortes on Tuesday night.
You looked sparkling so that your presence made me feel as if I'd been with a Son goddess in the Heaven. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ...

As usual I wrote an article, which was about a notorious Japanese administrator at the famous blog-provider site called "Ameblo."
You can see my blog at the following URL:

http://ameblo.jp/barclay/

Unfortunately, it was witten in Japanese.
Even if it were written in English, it wouldn't interest you at all.
Anyway, I posted it at around 5 o'clock.

Then I started watching "Midway" (war movie) on the DVD player.
This movie was made in 1976 with Henry Fonda, Toshiro Mifune, James Coburn, Charlton Heston, and so on.
I once saw it on TV a long time ago.


(midway2.jpg)

"MIDWAY" Trailer



I don't think you would be able to enjoy seeing it.
It's a kinda macho movie, isn't it?
Since I had watched the first half last night, I spent an hour on this movie.

After that, I started watching "Judgment at Nuremberg," which was made in 1961 with Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland and Montgomery Clift.
I saw it two decades ago, but I didn't understand it fully at that time.
My English-hearing ability has been improved since then, I can now understand it much better, and completely enjoyed watching it.
Oh, what a marvellous group of all-star actors and actresses they are!
The legendary Marlene Dietrich! and Spencer Tracy! and Judy Garland...
Their actings are so superb!
I fully enjoyed it.


(judge20.jpg)

"Judgment at Nuremberg"

(Trailer)




But ah!...the running time is more than three hours.
So, regrettably, I couldn't finish it!
I'll watch the rest tomorrow night.

Then I came home at nine o'clock and check mail in the mail box.
Guess what it is in there.

Surprise! surprise! surprise!... the postcard from London!
Oh, my...my...my Goodness!


(postcd2.gif)

It was post-dated March 6, and reached my mail box on March 29.
What a long journey it has taken!
Did you send it by ship?

Anyway, ha, ha, ha,... I'm so glad the postcard has finally arrived at the destination.
and enjoyed watching a double-decker bus on Oxford Street.

View from a double-decker

on Oxford Street




Thanx millions for such a beautiful postcard!

...hope I'll see you soon.
and write an article in English

Good night

Lovingly yours,
ever-romantic Taliesin, Kato



:) with love





I'm happy to know that you've finally received the postcard I sent.



I was worried about it...how come it took so long?

One of the British postal workers might have misplaced it.

Anyway, I don't have to worry about it any more.

So, Kato, tell me why on earth you bring up Anne Frank.

Well...the other night I watched an Anne Frank DVD at Joe Fortes Library.


(lib20326.gif)

"Catalogue page of the above DVD"



I see...and after that, you jotted down the above comment, didn't you?



Yes, I did.

I didn't know that you are an Anne Frank fan.

Well... when I was a freshman at my high school, a famous Japanese touring troupe came to my school and presented the play called "The Diary of Anne Frank" in the auditorium. I'd never seen any play before, so naturally I was really curious about it.

I see... so the Anne Frank play impressed you as you saw the real play for the first time in your life.

That's right.  And a week ago, I happened to see the DVD on the shelf.  It reminded me of my high school days, and played it with a bit of nostalgic sentiment.

The one you watched isn't a play, is it?

No, it isn't.  It is a documentary...something like the following:

Anne Frank's Final Days



Auschwitz survivor Eva Schloss

talks about her relationship

with Anne Frank (Part 1)




"Dear Kitty" Remembering Anne Frank

Part 1 of 6 (Miep Gies 1909-2010)






In the DVD, the Auschwitz survivor told a story about Anne, which I've never heard before.  And what a coincidence!  I watched the "Judgment at Nuremberg" DVD, in which I saw an actual historical footage filmed by American soldiers after the liberation of the Nazi concentration camps. Shown in court by prosecuting attorney Colonel Tad Lawson (played by Richard Widmark), the footage of huge piles of naked corpses laid out in rows and bulldozed into large pits was exceptionally gruesome. And suddenly I realized that the Anne Frank's last days is actually part of this concentrartion-camp story.

I wonder if the corpse of Anne Frank was also filmed at the camp.

No, I don't think so.  Even if it had been filmed, nobody could ever have recogized it. Anyway, I jotted down my comment:


(lib20331b.gif)

"Catalogue page of the above DVD"



Ummm...interesting remark, but it seems to me that the first part is missing.



You're telling me, Diane... firstly, I pasted the last half, then I tried to paste the first half, but the system didn't accept another comment. I could only edit but the system didn't accept the whole comment because it was too long.  So here it is.


Dan Haywood (played by Spencer Tracy), the chief justice in the case, attempts to understand how defendant Ernst Janning (Burt Lancaster) could have passed sentences resulting in genocide, and by extension how the German people could have turned blind eyes and deaf ears to the Holocaust.

Haywood stays at a mansion which used to be a home of Mrs. Bertholt (Marlene Dietrich), the widow of a German general executed by the Allies. When she picks up some personal effects at the mansion, she meets Haywood and both become friends.


(judge21.jpg)
Spencer Tracy & Marlene Dietrich

As a person, Haywood is warm-hearted, romantic and likable, but as a judge he seems hard-boiled, cool-headed and well-disciplined.  Mrs. Bertholt tries to convince Haywood that the Germans in general and the defendants in particular didn't know about the Holcaust, and asks him to forgive and free the defendants from the Holcaust-related accusation.

An elderly Jewish man was tried for a relationship with Irene Wallner (Judy Garland), a 16-year-old "Aryan" (German) woman at the time.


(judge22.jpg)
Judy Garland

This relationship was legally defined as improper under the Nuremberg Laws, and the elderly Jewish man was put to death in 1942.


(judge24.jpg)
Richard Widmark

Prosecuting attorney Colonel Tad Lawson (Richard Widmark) calls Irene as witness since he believes that the nature of their relationship was a mere friendship and that one of the defendents wrongly incriminated the Jewish man.
Defense attorney Hans Rolfe (Maximilian Schell) now questions Irene and almost accuses that she was in fact involved in sexual relationship with the Jewish man.
Their verbal question-and-answer session seems like an emotionally-charged stream of machine-gun fires. Irene almost bursts into tears.


(judge23.jpg)
Four defendants

Burt Lancaster as Dr. Janning

at the nearest


Although he looks ice-cold, Dr. Ernst Janning was once a well-respected German judge of the Third Reich. He has remained silent so far. In the middle of the machine-gun session, however, he stands up and shouts at the defence attorney to stop harassing Irene, who apparently looks innocent.

In due course you could easily understand that Dr. Janning is a compassionate man. He now asks the chief judge for a permission to state before the tribunal.

Granted, Dr. Janning makes a statement condemning himself and his fellow defendants for "going along" with the Third Reich.
Stunned at the sudden change of the defendent's attitude, the defence attorney gapes at Dr. Janning when he finishes the statement, then tells the court, "If Dr. Janning is guilty, the whole world is guilty because U.S. Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. supported eugenics practices like the Third Reich, the Vatican supported Hitler by way of Hitler-Vatican Reichskonkordat in 1933, the Soviet supported Hitler with the Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939 that allowed Hitler to start World War II, and Winston Churchill once praised Adolf Hitler. Furthermore, the U.S. Air forces dropped the atomic bombs in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, killing thousands of innocent citizens, if not a million of them. This is clearly a crime against humanity."

At this point, I say to myself, "Oh yeah! the States killed tens of thousands of innocent Japanese citizens by the atomic bombs as well as incendiary bombs, which is almost like the Holcaust. If the Diary of Anne Frank is the accusation against the Third Reich, the movie "Black Rain" (The Story of Yasuko) is the accusation against the United State.

Since the Cold War has just started, Haywood has to choose between patriotism and justice. He rejects the call to let the Nazi judges off lightly to gain Germany's support in the Cold War against the Soviet Union. He sentences all the defendents to life in prison.

At the end of the movie, Ernst Janning personally thanks Judge Haywood for his rulings, saying that it was the right and just decision.
"But please belive me, Judge Haywood, I didn't know about the Holcaust."
"I know you're innocent as far as the Holcaust is concerned."

Then, why didn't he free the four defendants from the crime as Mrs. Bertholt asked him?

Well, I suppose somebody has to take responsibilty for the crime.
Otherwise human beings wouldn't learn from the mistakes.
Yet, it seems to me that the United States hasn't learned the lesson because the military-industrial complex is producing new weapons called "drones"---unmanned airplanes---that dropped bombs in Afghanistan, creating another Anne Frank as well as Yasuko stories.

Although Ernst Janning thanked Judge Haywood, Mrs. Bertholt didn't.
She never forgave him, she asked him for forgiveness in the first place, though.
This story is simple and straightforward on the surface, yet quite complicated on a personal basis.




So, Kato, you're a pacifist, aren't you?



Yes, I am.

I'm glad to hear that.  By the way, tell me a little bit about the "Black Rain" story.

I know you're interested in the story.  So, I also added some comment to the catalogue page.


(lib20331.gif)

"Catalogue page of the above DVD"



I see... Yasuko suffered from radiation sickness, huh?



Yes, she did.

So, Kato, what are you trying to say?

Diane, you gave me a copy of your bishop's homily quite a while ago. Do you remeber it?

Yes, of course, I do.  It was at the time of the Fukushima disaster, wasn't it?

Yes, it was.  I wanna quote the part of that homily here:



The pain of our neighbours is our pain too.

When neighbours suffer, neighbours must respond.

In this way we build a better world.

We dignify humanity.

We overcome what we have not caused. ... we are reminded we are connected to each other.

Our lives are interwined on the same planet, the same ecosystems, the same humanity.

Perhaps God has created such a world in order to perfect our humanity ... with the promise that death is not the end of life.




SOURCE: "Love & Death of Cleopatra"
(Tues., April 5, 2011)





Wow! ... Kato, you're like an exemplary Christian.  Why don't you come to my church next Sunday?



Well... let me think it over.

Don't hesitate!  Let's perfect our humanity together.



【Himiko's Monologue】



I was shocked when Yasuko's hair was falling off while she was taking a bath.
If I were Yasuko, I might have committed suicide.
As you know, hair is the life itself for a woman.
She might have lost the last hope to find a better half.
I'm really sorry for her.

Well, in any case, I'd like to meet my "Romeo"---a decent man in my future life.
How come I'm always a loner?
I wish I could meet a nice gentleman at the library in my town as Diane met Kato.
Well, they say, there is a way where there is a will.

I hope Kato will write another interesting article.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...








If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





"Hello Diane!"

"I wish you were there!"

"Jane Eyre"



"Jane Eyre Again"

"Jane Eyre in Vancouver"

"Jane Eyre Special"

"Love & Death of Cleopatra"

"Nice Story"



"Scrumdiddlyumptious"

"Spiritual Work or What?"

"What a coincidence!"



"Wind and Water"

"Yoga and Happiness"

"You're in a good shape"



"Hellelujah!"

"Ecclesiophobia"

"Uncorruptible"

"Net Travel & Jane"



"Net Love"

"Complicated Love"

"Electra Complex"

"Net Début"

"Inner World"



"Madame Riviera and Burger"

"Roly-poly in the North"

"Amazing Grace"

"Diane in Paris"

"Diane in Montmartre"



"Diane Well Read"

"Wantirna South"

"Maiden's Prayer"

"Bandwidth"

"Squaw House and Melbourne Hotel"



"Tulips and Diane"

"Diane in Bustle Skirt"

"Diane and Beauty"

"Lady Chatterley and Beauty"

"Victorian Prudery"



"Diane Chatterley"

"From Canada to Japan"

"From Gyoda to Vancouver"

"Film Festival"

"Madame Taliesin"

"Happy Days"

"Vancouver Again"

"Swansea"



"Midnight in Vancouver"

"Madame Lindbergh"

"Dead Poets Society"

"Letters to Diane"

"Taliesin Studio"



"Wright and Japan"

"Taliesin Banzai"

"Memrory Lane to Sendai"

"Aunt Sleepie"

"Titanic @ Sendai"

"Birdcage"


(sylvie121.jpg)

"Roly-poly in the wild"

"Silence is dull"

"Zen and Chi Gong"

"Piano Lesson"

"Dangerous Relation"

"Electra Complex"


(juneswim.jpg)

"Covent Garden"

"Fatal Relation"

"Notre Dame"






Hi, I'm June Adames.

Judgment at Nuremberg is a 1961 American film dealing with the Holocaust and the Post-World War II Nuremberg Trials.

It was written by Abby Mann, directed by Stanley Kramer, and starred Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland, and Montgomery Clift.

An earlier adaptation had been broadcast as a television episode of Playhouse 90.

It was among the first films to be made about the Holocaust.

The film depicts the trial of certain judges who served during the Nazi regime in Germany.
The film was inspired by the Judges' Trial before the Nuremberg Military Tribunal in 1947, where four of the defendants were sentenced to life in prison.

The plot involves a "race defilement" trial known as the "Feldenstein case".

In this fictionalized case, based on the real life Katzenberger Trial, an elderly Jewish man was tried for a relationship with an "Aryan" (German) woman that was legally defined as improper under the Nuremberg Laws, and put to death in 1942.

Using this, and other examples, the movie explores and wrestles with issues of personal conscience, responsibility in the face of unjust laws and personal behavior in the face of widespread societal immorality.



ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』



『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。



(sylvie122.jpg)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿