2013年3月13日水曜日

Tear Jerker

  
 
Tear Jerker
 



Subj:
Life is short, eh?



From: barclay1720@aol.com
To: diane@vancouver.ca
Date: Wed., Mar. 6, 2013 3:28 PM
Pacific Standard Time



Hi Diane.  How's it going?



It was good to see you on Haro Street last Saturday.

That was certainly my pleasure!

Interestingly enough, I WAS on my way to Christ Church Cathedral.  One of the gals who also volunteers at the soup kitchen on Thursdays (she plays the piano during the course of the meal service ... beautifully, I might add) got a couple extra free tickets to the Cathedral Choir's fundraising concert and gave them to me.





That was a God-send, wasn't it? ...'Cause you're a good girl.



I wasn't planning to attend, but with the tickets in hand.  I thought it might be a good experience and it certainly was.

I'm pretty sure that it definitely was.

I met up with another Anglican Church friend who also loves the choir, and we had a lovely hour and a half.  Later we went across the street to the Hyatt Hotel bar on the second floor for a glass of wine.  Perfect.


(hyatt01.jpg)


(hyatt02.jpg)



Yes, yes, yes, ... I was once up there, not at the bar, but in the restaurant.



I didn't know they had a perfect view of the Cathedral from their floor to ceiling glass window.  Bit on the expensive side, but for one drink worth the price.

Although my lady friend and I sat by the window, I don't remember the floor-to-ceiling glass window.

You must try it one day if you're really, really trying to impress some girl.

I don't think that my lady friend was impressed by the window-side view, although she was a profoundly religious lady.

It's amazing how much attention your blogs get, Kato ... absolutely amazing.

I thought so, too.


(td004d.jpg)

"Diane@TD Bank"



I read the above article.  You know, I think it's pretty well impossible to serve every customer to their satisfaction as some people (not you, but some) are just not reasonable.



You bet on that.

In this case, though, I can see you getting annoyed.  If possible, I think it's best to just take it in stride and walk away, don't you think?  Life's too short.

You're absolutely right on!  Life is short and art is long, so is blog.  So that's the reason I've been spending much time on blogging!

Maybe I'll see you tomorrow evening if I make it to yoga, busy day.

I enjoyed meeting with you last evening.  You're always an apple in my eyes, a romance in my brain, and a love in my heart. :-)  When you showed up, I was totally engrossed while watching "Creation."  Here's my comment on the DVD.

Charles Darwin's "The origin of Species", first published in 1859, has been clled the biggest single idea in the history of thought.
The book was sold out on its day of publication.
"Creation" is the story of how it came to be written.
It was directed by Jon Amiel and released in 2009, starring Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly as Charles and Emma Darwin.
It is a partly biographical, partly fictionalised account of Charles Darwin's relationship with his eldest daughter, Annie (played by Martha West), as he struggles to write on "the Origin of Species."
The film shows Annie in flashbacks and hallucinations, a vibrant apparition who goads her father to address his fears and finish his masterwork.
It is apparent that Annie has died, and that her death is a taboo subject between Darwin and Emma, as both feel intense blame for her death.
As a result of the strained relations between Charles and Emma, they stop making love entirely.

CREATION - Life of Charles Darwin

(Introduction & Trailer)




Anguished, Darwin begins to suffer from a mysterious, fatiguing illness.
It is revealed that, after Annie becomes ill in 1851, Darwin takes her to the Worcestershire town of Malvern for James Manby Gully's water cure therapy, against Emma's will.
Annie's condition worsens, and she ultimately dies after her father, at her request, tells her Jenny's (young orangutan's) story once more.
Darwin is devastated, and her death sharpens his conviction that natural laws have nothing to do with divine intervention.

To his contemporaries, this is an idea so dangerous it seems to threaten the existence of God. (Listen to this!)

Desipite the tragic death of their daughter, however, Charles and Emma remained happily married until his death aged 73.
He was buried with full Christian honors in Westminster Abbey.

"Creation" is a fascinating and quite thought-provoking drama.



SOURCE: from the VPL catalogue page



"Creation" is the 198th movie I watched at the library, and one of the top twenties.  The following is the list of those movies I commented on.


(lib30305m.gif)

"The Actual Catalogue Page"



Kato, you must find a nice girl to talk with, instead of sitting all the time in the library!



I know, I know, I know, ... but again, life is short and art is long, so is blog.  So that's the reason I've been sitting in the library while writing this letter! :-)  In any case, you're always an apple in my eyes, a romance in my brain, and a love in my heart.

Your romantic Bohemian, Kato

with a lot of love



 

(dianef02.jpg)

Subj:
Celebrate your 200th movie!



From: diane@vancouver.ca
To: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Fri., Mar 08, 2013 12:31:23
Pacific Standard Time



Hi Kato,

How are you doing, my romantic bohemian?

It's unbelievable you've watched your 198th VPL movie.
Now, why don't you find a real live gal to entertain and be entertained by before you become completely mesmerized by technology.

Egads. Pretty impressive, anyway.
You must find a creative way to celebrate watching your 200th movie when the day comes.
Maybe have a party and invite all the librarians and all the VPL friends you've made ... that'd be fun.

Interesting review of Creation.
I must see it one day.


(create02.jpg)

If Charles & Emma had a strained relationship over the death of Annie and no loving as a result, he probably wasn't "happily" married until his death at 73.
Perhaps they both just resigned themselves to the new reality.

See you soon, kiddo,
Find yourself a nice girlfriend, okay?


(dianelin3.jpg)

Ciao for now,

Love, Diane ~





Kato, have you found a nice girl yet?



Oh no, it's impossible!

Why is that?

...'Cause your image has been imprinted in the back of my eyes, which reject other nice images---even the charming image of Ludmila Savelyeva, who played Masha (Maria) in the "Sunflower (I girasoli)."


(sunf07.jpg)


(sunf01.jpg)


(sunf06.jpg)



Tsk, tsk, tsk, ... Kato, you're too romantic to be a realist.  By the way, have you found a creative way to celebrate watching your 200th movie when the day comes.



Yes, of course, I have.

Tell me about it, kiddo!

So that's why I've brought up the above pictures.

Did you watch "Sunflower" as your 200th movie?

Yes and no.  Look at the following list.


(lib30311b.gif)



The "Sunflower" film is your 203rd movie, isn't it?



Yes, it is.  Unfortunately, my 200th film turns out an Arabic movie called "Cairo Station," which isn't my cup of tea.  So I viewed "Charlie Chan in Shanghai," which isn't my cup of green tea, either.  Then I picked up a Korean movie called "Chi-hwa-seon," which isn't my cup of coffee.  I felt like crying over my bad luck.  Then suddenly I recalled an unforgettable heart-rendering tear-jerker: "Sunflower."

I see... so you came to view the old movie to celebrate having watched the 200th movie, didn't you?

Yes, I did.

I girasoli - TRAILER



Henry Mancini

Love theme from SUNFLOWER






I jotted down my comment in the library:


(sunf02.jpg)

Giovanna (Sophia Loren) and Antonio (Marcello Mastroianni) get married to delay Antonio's deployment during World War II.
This event buys them twelve days of happiness.
After this, they try another scheme, in which Antonio pretends to be a crazy man, but to no avail.


(sunf04.jpg)

Finally, Antonio is sent to the Russian Front.
When the war is over, Antonio does not return and is listed as missing in action.
Despite the odds, Giovanna is convinced her true love has survived the war and is still in Russia.
Determined, she journeys to Russia to find him.


(sunf03.jpg)

After a lengthy search, Giovanna eventually finds Antonio, but by now he has started a second family with a woman who saved his life, and they have one daughter.


(sunf07.jpg)

Childless, having been faithful to her husband, Giovanna returns to Italy, heartbroken, but unwilling to disrupt her love's new life.
Some years later, Antonio returns to Giovanna, asking her to come back with him to Russia.
Meanwhile, Giovanna has tried to move on with her own life, moving out of their first home together and into her own apartment.
She has started dating again, has given birth to a baby boy, and is living as a single parent.
He explains his new life, how war changes a man, how safe he felt with his new woman.
Unwilling to ruin Antonio's daughter's or her own new son's life, Giovanna refuses to leave Italy.
As they part, Antonio gives her a fur, which he had promised years before that he'd bring back for her.
The lovers lock eyes as Antonio's train takes him away from Giovanna, and from Italy, forever.

At this point you would probably get drowned in your own tears as Henry Mancini's theme music would wrench your heart.



SOURCE: from the VPL library catalogue

Girassóis da Rússia 1970



Ending Scene





Oh, my Goodness... The above clips remind me of my heart-wrenching memoirs... I was drowned in my own tears while Henry Mancini's theme music filled the theater.



Did you watch the movie as well?

Yes, I did.  As you mentioned, it's a real tear-jerker.  I recall my late husband, now.

(sunf08.jpg)



But you seem to enjoy life.



Kato, whatsoever happens, life goes on ... yet life's too short.

You're absolutely right on!  Life is short and art is long, so is blog.  So that's the reason I've been spending much time on blogging!  My blog is definitely long!




【Himiko's Monologue】



Well ... what do you think?
Yes, I suppose Kato's blog is quite long.

In any case, I hope Kato will write another interesting article soon.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...







If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





"Midnight in Vancouver"

"Madame Lindbergh"

"Dead Poets Society"

"Letters to Diane"

"Taliesin Studio"



"Wright and Japan"

"Taliesin Banzai"

"Memrory Lane to Sendai"

"Aunt Sleepie"

"Titanic @ Sendai"

"Birdcage"


(sylvie121.jpg)

"Roly-poly in the wild"

"Silence is dull"

"Zen and Chi Gong"

"Piano Lesson"

"Dangerous Relation"

"Electra Complex"


(juneswim.jpg)

"Covent Garden"

"Fatal Relation"

"Notre Dame"

"Anne Frank"

"Biker Babe"

"Diane Girdles the Globe"

"Diane in Casablanca"

"Infidelity Neighbourhood"

"Forest Bathing"

"Enjoy Ramen!"

"Sex, Violence, Love"



"Halifax to Vancouver"

"A Thread of Destiny"

"Fujiyama Geisha"

"Beaver Lake"

"God is Near!"

"Holy Cow@Rose Garden"

"Vancouver Earthquake"

"Birthplace"



"KIFF"

"You Love Japan, eh?"

"Eight Bridges"

"First Love"

"Fright on Flight"

"Boy's Movie"

"From Summer to Eternity"

"Sōseki & Glenn Gould"

"Dream Dream Dream"

"In Search of Your Footprint"

"Little Night Music"

"Merry X'mas"

"Happy New Year!"

"Long live Diane!"

"Mona Lisa"

"Flu Shot"

"Selfish TD Bank"

"Talk with Mozart"

"Bliss for Diane!"

"Romantic Bohemian"

"TD Bank or Mozart?"

"Diane@TD Bank"






Hi, I'm June Adams.

Sunflower is a 1970 Italian drama directed by Vittorio De Sica.

In Italy, it was the first occidental film to be filmed in the USSR.

Sophia Loren became an international film star following her five-picture contract with Paramount Pictures in 1958.

In 1961, she starred in Vittorio De Sica's "Two Women"---a stark, gritty story of a mother who is raped while trying to protect her daughter in war-torn Italy.



Originally cast as the daughter, Loren fought against type and was re-cast as the mother (actress Eleonora Brown would portray the daughter).

Loren's performance earned her many awards, including the Cannes Film Festival's best performance prize, and an Academy Award for Best Actress, the first major Academy Award for a non-English-language performance and to an Italian actress.

She won 22 international awards for Two Women.

The film proved to be extremely well accepted by the critics and it was a huge commercial success.


ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』



『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。





0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿