2014年6月13日金曜日

Poutine@Canada


 

Poutine@Canada

 


(canada300.gif)


(canadafg.gif)


(poutine2.jpg)




(foolw.gif)

I've discovered

a Canadian dish.



(canadish.jpg)

From: denman@infoseek.jp
To: diane705@yahoo.ca
cc: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Fri., May 30, 2014 1:12 PM
Pacific Daylight Saving Time

Hi Diane,


(umbrella12.jpg)

Although it's raining (tsk, tsk, tsk ... one of those days!),
the weather man says that we're having a gorgeous weekend.
I really hope so.

The other day, I read a newspaper article about a Canadian dish.
It reads:

The Search for Canada's cuisine


(5men5.gif)

Canada has long been a meeting place for global cultures and influences.
As such wave of immigration brings new citizens to our shores, so too have new customs and traditions become absorbed into the Canadian way of life.
Nowhere is this more evident than in the kitchen.
。。。

Eric Pateman, executive chef and president of Edible Canada, attributes Canada's unique variety of cultures to our vast concept of "Canadian cuisine."

 。。。 At Edible Canada, a soup featuring local carrots and Indian-inspired coconut and cumin can be found on the menu alongside Haida Gwaii Halibut with wild ginger.

But when it comes to the quintessential Canadian dish, Pateman picks an obvious favorite: Poutine.

"I think it's just got so much variety," he says. "Poutine is a dish I could literally take coast to coast and recognizes it so it represented every part of this country."


(canada2.gif)



SOURCE: Page 7 of "West Ender"
(May 8-14,2014)



Poutine?

I've never heard of the word.
As a matter of fact, I tried to look it up in my dictionary: Webster's New World Dictionary (1979 pocket-size edition).


(webster02.jpg)

I couldn't find it.
So I looked it up in Wikipedia on the Net.


(poutine1.jpg)

Poutine is a common Canadian dish, originally from Quebec, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.

This fast food dish can now be found across Canada, and is also found in some places in the northern United States, where it is sometimes required to be described due to its exotic nature.

It is sold in small "greasy spoon" type diners (commonly known as cantines or casse-croûtes in Quebec) and pubs, as well as by roadside fry wagons (commonly known as cabanes à patates, literally "potato shacks").


(poutine3.jpg)

National and international chains like New York Fries, McDonald's, A&W, KFC, Burger King, and Harvey's also sell mass-market poutine in Canada (although not always country-wide).



SOURCE: "Poutine" from Wikipedia



Ah-hah!
It's originally come from Quebec, eh?
So it's a French word, isn't it?

No wonder I couldn't find it in my English dictionary!
I've been living here in Canada for more than 20 years; however, I've never come across poutine.
How come?

So, Diane, have you ever cooked poutine by yourself?
I suppose you have.

Tell me about a typical Welsh dish!

Anyway, I've just written an article for you.

Please click the following link:


(music101.jpg)



"Life with Music"

I hope you'll enjoy it to the hilt and cry for joy! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ...

Your smiling Bohemian, Kato
with a lot of love as always







So, Kato, you've found a Canadian dish, huh?



Yes, I have.

Have you eaten that Canadian stuff yet?

No, not yet, but I'll try some one of these days.

You know, Kato, it's not so healthy.

Why not?

Take a close look at this poutine!


(potine4.jpg)



This stuff is made with french fries, topped with a brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.  Don't you think it is so repulsive?



Repulsive?  Disgusting---you mean?  Is that your first impression of the above dish?

Actually, I've never tasted it, myself.

Why not?

... 'cause it looks so unhealthy.  You know, Kato, this poutine is supposed to be junk food.

C'mon, Diane.  Poutine is a Canadian dish and you're a Canadian, aren't you?

Yes, I am.

Then you should be proud of any Canadian dish, shouldn't you?

No, not all of the Canadian dishes.

Why not?

Kato, have you ever heard of the obesity epidemic?

What the heck is the obesity epidemic?

I keep reading about the obesity epidemic these days.  In 2004, approximately 6.8 million Canadian adults ages 20 to 64 were overweight, and an additional 4.5 million were obese.

You must be kidding.

I'm quite serious.

Diane, are you saying that 7 million Canadians were overweight ten years ago?

Yes, and I see many more in these days.  They say, dramatic increases in overweight and obesity among Canadians over the past 30 years have been deemed to constitute an “epidemic.”


(obese02.jpg)





Five million Canadians are obese...  No kidding!  And Diane, are you saying that poutine---a Canadian dish---contributes to the obesity emidemic?



I would say so.  If I keep eating poutine, I'll be like this.


(fatwom2.png)



I see... So, you don't want to eat pouline, do you?



No, I don't.

Then what's your favorite healthy dish, Diane?

Well ... one of my nutrition-minded friends recommends “eating healthy” and loading up on fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean meats.

Which fruits and veggies? What kinds of whole grains? And what constitutes a lean meat?

You don't have to be specific.  Any fruit, any veggie, any whole grain, and any mean meat will do.

So, Diane, you're quite concious about healthy diet, aren't you?

Yes, I am.  With the right kinds of foods, I can stave off heart disease, stay slim and boost my immune system.

I see...

Tell me, Kato, you like sushi, don't you?

Yes, of course, I do.  I was born in Japan and brought up over there.  Naturally, sushi is one of my favorites.


(sushi902.jpg)


(sushi903.jpg)



My nutrition-minded friend always tells me to eat more seafood.  So I want you to tell me how to make delicious sushi.



Okay... First of all, you must make sushi rice.


(sushi801.jpg)

How to make Sushi rice

professional recipe






Sushi rice is the base of delicious suchi.  If it is far below standard, then your sushi is ruined.  So be careful.  Once you make good sushi rice, then follow the next steps.


(sushi800.jpg)

Step-by-Step Directions





Kato, do you think I can make delicious sushi?



Of course, you can.  If you follow the above steps one by one, you should be able to make delicious sushi.  Then give me a shout and I'll taste it and tell you whether your sushi is below or above standard.



(laugh16.gif)

【Himiko's Monologue】


(himiko22.gif)

Do you like sushi?
I'm sure you do.
Why don't you make California rolls?
I'll show you how to make those rolls.

California Rolls

An Easy Sushi Recipe




Now, you know how to do it.
Enjoy it to the hilt.

In any case, I hope Kato will write another interesting article soon.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...


(hand.gif)


(renge400.jpg)



If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





(juneswim.jpg)

"Go Bananas"

"Manwatching"

"Stanley Boardwalk"

"With Your Tiger"

"A Second World"

"Asexual Thought"


(biker302.jpg)

"Stanley 125 Years"

"Sushi @ the Globe"

"Peace@Syria & Pentagon"

"Sweet Memory"

"Unforgettable Movies"

"Typhoon 26"

"Great Luck"

"Diane@World"

"Diane@Spam"

"Sabina"

"Happy New Year"

"Merange & Sabina"

"Beauty in Spa"

"Love @ e-reading"

"Troublesome Slang"

"World Family"

"Mari's Bagels"

"Love & Loyalty"

"Another Cinderella"

"Amazing Two-legged Pooch"

"Delusive Romance"

"Royal Couple"

"Life with Music"



(surfin2.gif)


(bare02b.gif)

Hi, I'm June Adams.

The contemporary version, internationally known as "sushi", was created by Hanaya Yohei (1799–1858) at the end of the Edo period in Tokyo.
Sushi invented by Hanaya was an early form of fast food that was not fermented (therefore prepared quickly) and could be conveniently eaten with one's hands.

Originally, this sushi was known as Edomae zushi because it used freshly caught fish in the Edo-mae (Edo Bay or Tokyo Bay).
Though the fish used in modern sushi no longer usually comes from Tokyo Bay, it is still formally known as Edomae nigiri-zushi.

I like temaki sushi.
It is easy to make.
Here are the step-by-step instructions.


(sushi802.jpg)

Temaki Sushi



ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』


(renge730.jpg)

『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。



(bikini901b.jpg)


(dogs17.gif)


(girlxx.gif)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿