2012年1月5日木曜日

Roly-poly in the Wild

Roly-poly in the Wild







Subj:Summer is here

with us!

Enjoy the sunshine!




From: diane03760@vancouver.ca
To: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Tue, Jul 26, 2011 4:35 pm.
Pacific Daylight Saving Time


Thanks my truly skinny Socrates, Kato.



"Madame Riviera and Burger"

(July 26, 2011)


I've read the above article.
Your article is excellent as usual.
I did remember that you lived in Yellowknife some years ago.





Many years ago, I too lived for six months or so in the north, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.



Actually, I worked for a mining company in a small town called Faro (Anvil Mines at the time) as secretary to the President.
I was given my own apartment (most of the staff had to live in bunk houses) and a huge salary compared with what I would receive in Vancouver.
So I was thrilled about that.
I didn't want to feel totally isolated, though, so I asked whether I could eat with the others in the cookhouse and they obliged.

Thank God.
It was fun and much easier than doing my own cooking and making do with the limited selection in the local store.
The cook took a special liking to me and every day he would give me extra rations of cookies and cakes.

Pretty soon I realized that if I took advantage of these favours I would end up being a roly-poly.



so I would take them and then give them away.
Lotsa fun.

I do remember a really cute Japanese gal who worked up there telling me she had already gained 25 lbs in one year, and it showed.



It was all the lesson I needed, thankfully.



Le Crueset cookware is definitely famous.
A friend of mine in Kerrisdale has some and he said they're very, very expensive but worth every penny.



He has one pot that he uses almost daily and has for years and it has proved to be the best pot he's every cooked with and worked with---sturdy, reliable, easy to work with.
So I guess it's worth the big bucks, true?!



Vancouver is pretty good, but not paradise I'd say.
The weather's too crummy half the time, or more than half the time actually, Which is why my brother left Canada for France.
He could no longer stand the cold weather.
Certainly, I do miss him.

As a matter of fact, I've found an interesting joke:



You see, Kato, we don't have many sunny days in Vancouver!
Anyway, I enjoyed reading your article.
Thanks again for all this.



Love, Diane ~




SOURCE: "Roly-poly in the North"
(July 30, 2011)




Kato, how come you've brought up my old mail?



A good question...I've read the book "Into the Wild" written by Jon Krakauer, then viewed the DVD in the library.

Into the Wild (Trailer)



Chris McCandless

a.k.a Alexander Supertramp






The above book is a non-fiction written based on the real story.



What kind of story?

Well...it's a story of adventure and self-search journey into the wilderness.





...sound quite interesting.



I thought you would say that.

What makes you think so?

...'cause you went up north to Faro in the wilderness.

Faro is a small town, but far from wilderness, I suppose.  I went up there for my career.

I know, but if you hate wilderness and adventure, I don't think you went up north in the first place.

You're right on, Kato.  Anyway, what impressed you so much.

The story is about Chris McCandless---a young man who threw away his real name and his background, then called himself Alexander Supertramp.

So he was a super tramp, wasn't he?

You're telling me, Diane.  He graduated from college in 1990 and told his parents that he might as well go to Harvard Law School---simply to make his parents happy.  Although he loved his parents, he sank into a trauma when he came to know that his mother gave birth to him while his father was married to another woman.

So, he was legally born as a bastard, wasn't he?

That's right.

Is this the reason he stepped into the wild as Alexander Supertramp?

I would say so.  He threw away his identity, donated his all the money ($24,000) to a charity organization, then took up another identity as Alexander Supertramp, and stepped into a self-search adventure penniless.





Unfortunately, he was found dead in August, 1992.



What happened to him?

Nobody knows for sure, but the book suggested he ate some kind of poisonous plant.  So did the movie.

I think I heard the news of his death in 1992.

So did I, and I thought that the yound man was a careless hitch-hiker, and forgot about the incident soon afterwards.  Then I happened to read the book.  As soon as I read the book, the incident came back to my mind.  At the end of the bood written in 1996, the Japanese translator told that the movie was to be made and shown in 2006 or 2007.  So I borrowed the DVD and viewed it.

Who directed the movie?

Sean Penn.





I thought he was an actor.



Yes, he was and still is.  He is now a hyphnated director---actor-come-director.

He does look older, doesn't he?

Well...everybody is getting old day by day, you know.

You're telling me, Kato.  How come you are so motivated to view the movie?

Well... first of all, his footsteps crossed yours and mine...sort of, when you and I were young, staying up north.





I see.  But your place in Yellowknife was far from his route, wasn't it?



You're right on, but Yellowknife is much closer to his final camp site than my hometown in Japan.  Besides, I read a depressed young woman's desperate desire---something like a suicide note.


Anxiety, frustration,

and loneliness


2004/10/03 18:28



If I'm to live like this,

I'd rather die.

I've got a doner card.

If somebody needs a cornea, a heart or anything else,

please take any of my body parts.



I have no family members.

No one to rely on.

No one to consult with.

No one to report to.
 
 
by Renge




SOURCE: "Love and Loneliness"
『愛と孤独』
(August 31, 2011)




So, Kato, you thought Chris McCandless went into the wild to commit suicide, didn't you?



That's right.  I really wanted to know why he went up into the north.

By the way, Kato, did you reply to her suicide note?

Yes, I did.

No kidding!

I'm dead serious.  Those notes and replies were all in my blog.




My dear Renge,

If you say lonely, imagine yourself in the northen wilderness.

The temperature goes down to 42 degree below.

There is nobody around in the wilderness.

You could see the mysterious northern lights.

If you say lonely in the biggest city in Japan,

what would a soul in the wilderness say?

I lived in Yellowknife for nearly two years.

Every time I saw northern lights alone,

I felt somewhat lonely.

Whenever I walked from my place for five minutes,

the wilderness invited me into a desolate land.

Into desolation rather than loneliness.

When I walked into desolation, I felt I was on my own---free from all social shackles.

In any case, everyone lives alone.

You were born alone, and will die alone after all.

Why don't you come to see the northern lights?



The picture above looks tinted yellow.

The real ones shine like an oxidized silver curtain.

Mystical and fantastic!

I felt as if I would be sucked up into the eternal silver world.

Then I came out to Vancouver---a face-to-face world.

My dear Renge, if you don't like lonliness,

talk to somebody---your neighbor, your work buddy, or anyone.

If nobody, then talk to me.  \(^Д^)/

When you stop talking, you increasingly become lonely.

In any case, don't think too deeply.

The sun always comes up after the night.

From time to time, I come to your blog.

Until then, goodbye.

(^Д^) ha, ha, ha, ha...
 
 
Kato (a.k.a Denman)

2004 09/04 00:00




SOURCE: "Love and Loneliness"
『愛と孤独』
(August 31, 2011)


Northern Lights at Yellowknife





So, Renge didn't commit suicide, did she?



Oh no, she didn't.  She is as smart and resourceful as Chris McCandless was.  Fortunately, there are no poisonous plants around her place.



【Himiko's Monologue】



Wow! ... I'm glad Renge didn't commit suicide.
As you know, you don't have to feel lonely because everybody is born alone and dies alone.

The thing is, how to meet a better half.
Unfortunately, I haven't met my better half so far, although I met so many unromantic morons.

Come to think of it, I've never met my "Romeo"---a decent man in my life.
How come I'm always a loner?
I wish I could meet a nice gentleman at the library in my town as Diane met Kato.
Well, they say, there is a way where there is a will.

I hope Kato will write another interesting article.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...








If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





"Hello Diane!"

"I wish you were there!"

"Jane Eyre"



"Jane Eyre Again"

"Jane Eyre in Vancouver"

"Jane Eyre Special"

"Love & Death of Cleopatra"

"Nice Story"



"Scrumdiddlyumptious"

"Spiritual Work or What?"

"What a coincidence!"



"Wind and Water"

"Yoga and Happiness"

"You're in a good shape"



"Hellelujah!"

"Ecclesiophobia"

"Uncorruptible"

"Net Travel & Jane"



"Net Love"

"Complicated Love"

"Electra Complex"

"Net Début"

"Inner World"



"Madame Riviera and Burger"

"Roly-poly in the North"

"Amazing Grace"

"Diane in Paris"

"Diane in Montmartre"



"Diane Well Read"

"Wantirna South"

"Maiden's Prayer"

"Bandwidth"

"Squaw House and Melbourne Hotel"



"Tulips and Diane"

"Diane in Bustle Skirt"

"Diane and Beauty"

"Lady Chatterley and Beauty"

"Victoria Prudery"



"Diane Chatterley"

"From Canada to Japan"

"From Gyoda to Vancouver"

"Film Festival"

"Madame Taliesin"

"Happy Days"

"Vancouver Again"

"Swansea"



"Midnight in Vancouver"

"Madame Lindbergh"

"Dead Poets Society"

"Letters to Diane"

"Taliesin Studio"



"Wright and Japan"

"Taliesin Banzai"

"Memrory Lane to Sendai"

"Aunt Sleepie"

"Titanic @ Sendai"

"Birdcage"






Hi, I'm June Adames.

Chris McCandless grew up in suburban Annandale, Virginia.

After graduating in 1990 with high grades from Emory University, McCandless ceased communicating with his family, gave away his college fund of $24,000 to Oxfam---a charity organization.

He then began traveling, later abandoning his car.

In April 1992, McCandless hitch-hiked to the Stampede Trail in Alaska.

There, McCandless headed down the snow-covered trail to begin an odyssey with only 10 pounds of rice, a .22 caliber rifle, several boxes of rifle rounds, a camera, and a small selection of reading material, including a field guide to the region's edible plants.

His backpack was later found to contain his wallet, containing multiple forms of identification, his social security card, $300, and library cards.

A map of the area was also found in his backpack.

He declined an acquaintance's offer to buy him sturdier clothing and better supplies.

After surviving more than 100 days, he is thought to have died on August 18, 1992.



ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』



『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿