2014年2月26日水曜日

Troublesome Slang



 
 
Troublesome Slang

 
 

(slang90.jpg)



(foolw.gif)

How did you enjoy

the Family Day holiday?


From: denman@infoseek.jp
To: diane705@yahoo.ca
cc: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:03:57 PM
Pacific Standard Time

Hi Diane,

How are you doing?
We don't have many sunny days lately.
Tsk, tsk, tsk ... that's not nice, eh?

But, I guess, some couples might be enjoying this rainy season.


(umbrella12.jpg)

How did you enjoy the Family Day holiday?
Did you meet your sister Summer?
Her name is quite amazing and amusing!
I've never heard of Summer as somebody's first name in my whole life!

Anyway, I read books for a whole day.

For a whole day?
What a monotonous way to sepend a holidy!---you might think.


(galfrown.jpg)

By the way, Diane, I read a "24 hours" article about Madonna on January 20.

It reads:


(madonna80.jpg+toohot.gif)

Madonna apologizes for Instagram slur.
Madonna has issued an apology following the public backlash over her use of a racial slur in an Instagram.com post.
The pop star was bombarded with messages of outrage after posting a picture of her son Rocco sparring in a boxing ring on Friday with the caption,
"No one messes with Dirty Soap! Mama said knock you out! #disn**ga."

The Material Girl singer deleted the caption on Saturday, and later took to her Facebook.com page to post a statement of apology.
She writes, "I am sorry if I offended anyone with my use of the N word on Instagram.
It was not meant as a racial slur. I am not a racist.
There's no way to defend the use of the word.
It was all about intention... It was used as a term of endearment toward my son who is white. I appreciate that it's a provocative word and I apologize if it gave people the wrong impression. Forgive me."

Diane, my question is "What is disn**ga"?
I've never heard the word in my whole life.
I tried to look it up on the Net, but to no avail.

You might know it.
Please tell me about it.
Is it so bad?

You can find a couple of Net articles on the above subject by clicking the following links:


1) Madonna News 1

2) Madonna News 2


In any case, I've just written an article about e-reading.
What about e-reading?---you may ask...
Well... to find it out, please click the following link:


(sonyrd2.jpg)

"Love @ e-reading"

I hope you'll enjoy the above article!

Your smiling Bohemian, Kato
with a lot of love


(kato3.gif)
 

(2004fs.gif)

Subj:Don't use bad words!


(gal009.jpg)

From: diane@vancouver.ca
To: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Tuesday, 11 Feb 2014 19:13:09
Pacific Standard Time

Hi Kato,

Nice to hear from you.
Well ... everyone seemed happy that Christie Clark gave us this special holiday called "Family Day."


(familyday.png)



Of course, for me, every day is a holiday!
Nuisance to have the VPL closed though, true?

I do have a brother who lives in North Vancouver, but no cousins or anything, which is sad.
Well..., I've adopted all my friends as family (including you, kiddo).
My boyfriend says I'm part of his family, so it's something.

I expect it made you miss your mum and your siblings as well.
But we're not alone, that's for sure.

The West End has more singles than any other part of the city, so we're definitely not alone.

By the way, I hadn't heard about this Madonna episode and I've never heard of disnxxga.
But I expect, breaking it down, it means dis(this)nxxga(nigger).
This "nigger," which IS a yucky thing to say about black people who do not like the word, preferring to be called black.



Sometimes they call themselves this, but for white people to call them this name it is insulting.
Sort of like gay fellows call each other fags and stuff, but it would not be appropriate for a straight person to call them this.
... hope this helps.


(sundeck2.jpg)

I'm looking forward to more daylight.
It gets dark so SOON.
Well, it's coming.
... hope you enjoyed your Family Day reading, kiddo.


(dianelin3.jpg)

Love, Diane





Yes, yes, yes! ... Diane, you're absolutely right!  How come I haven't got that flash-bulb moment?  Breaking it down, it means "this black person" ... nothing else!  I haven't come up with a way of breaking it down.



Well ... everybody has a blind spot, huh?

Diane, you're such a smart babe!  I've become a little bit smarter now! 

But, Kato, that slang IS a yucky thing to say about black people.  You shouldn't use it.

I know... I know ...

By the way, Kato, how come you pick this subject again?

Good question!  Actually I've written an article about some slang the other day.




(24h40128.gif)

"Jay Leno Story"



What is this?



This is a "24 HOURS" community newspaper article about Jay Leno, who ends his controversial reign as Tonight Show host. Have you read the article?

No, I haven't.  But it sounds interesting.

It is.  Apparently, people love Johnny Carson more than Jay Leno.

But Jay Leno seems to be a likable fellow, doesn't he?

Yeah, he looks like it on the surface, but some people hate him.

So, Kato, you've written an article about why some people hate Jat Leo so mcuh, haven't you?

Oh, no.  I'm not interested in Jay Leno 'cause I've never viewed Tonight Show.  I don't really care about him.

Then what did you write about?

In the article is the following passage:

“That is the kind of guy he is,” Lopez said. “He's known Paul Rodriguez for 25 years.
There's people who think he's a f---ing a------, and I'm one of them.
He can spend the rest of his life wondering why people don't like him.”



「アイツはそういう男なんだよ」、とロペツは言った。
「アイツはポール・ロドリゲスと25年間付き合いがある。
アイツは、箸にも棒にも引っかからない、どうしようもないロクデナシ野郎だと思っている人間がたくさんいるんだよ。
俺だって、そう思っている一人さァ。
どうして自分が人から嫌われているのか、アイツは死んでも、解らないままじゃないかなァ!?」

(デンマン訳)



『夏目漱石と南方熊楠』より
(2014年2月7日)



So, you've written an article for the Japanese audience, haven't you?



Yes, mainly for the people who understand Japanese.

Obviously, you're interested in the red-colored portion, aren't you?

Yes, I am.  You see, Diane, if you live in Canada for 6 months, you can hear the above phrase so many times.  So, naturally, you'll have no difficulty in finding it out and understanding its meaning.

I see.

But these days, you seldom hear disn**ga.  That's the reason I couldn't solve the above slang puzzle.  Besides, I had no idea that disn**ga consisted of two words.

So, this is the thing you want to tell in this article, isn't it?

Oh, no.  There is another thing to tell you.  Diane, tell me, what is slang?

Well ... Slang is some word to degrade a thing or a person with.

Yes, yes, yes, ... you're right to a certain extent.  Actually, few linguists have endeavoured to clearly define what constitutes slang.  Attempting to remedy this, Bethany K. Dumas and Jonathan Lighter argue that an expression should be considered "true slang" if it meets at least two of the following criteria:

■ It lowers, if temporarily, "the dignity of formal or serious speech or writing"; in other words, it is likely to be considered in those contexts a "glaring misuse of register."

■ Its use implies that the user is familiar with whatever is referred to, or with a group of people who are familiar with it and use the term.

■ "It's a taboo term in ordinary discourse with people of a higher social status or greater responsibility."

■ It replaces "a well-known conventional synonym". This is done primarily to avoid discomfort caused by the conventional synonym or discomfort or annoyance caused by having to elaborate further.



... quite interesting, isn't it?



Yes, it is.



(laugh16.gif)

【Himiko's Monologue】


(himiko22.gif)

While many forms of language may be considered "sub-standard", slang remains distinct from colloquial and jargon terms because of its specific social contexts.

While considered inappropriate in formal writing, colloquial terms are typically considered acceptable in speech across a wide range of contexts, while slang tends to be considered unacceptable in many contexts.

In any case, I'd like to meet my "Romeo"---a decent man in my future life.
How come I'm always a loner?
I wish I could meet a nice gentleman at the library in my town as Diane met Kato.
Well, they say, there is a way where there is a will.

I hope Kato will write another interesting article.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...


(hand.gif)


(renge400.jpg)



If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





(juneswim.jpg)

"Go Bananas"

"Manwatching"

"Stanley Boardwalk"

"With Your Tiger"

"A Second World"

"Asexual Thought"


(biker302.jpg)

"Stanley 125 Years"

"Sushi @ the Globe"

"Peace@Syria & Pentagon"

"Sweet Memory"

"Unforgettable Movies"

"Typhoon 26"

"Great Luck"

"Diane@World"

"Diane@Spam"

"Sabina"

"Happy New Year"

"Merange & Sabina"

"Beauty in Spa"

"Love @ e-reading"



(surfin2.gif)


(bare02b.gif)

Hi, I'm June Adames.

Jargon refers to language used by personnel in a particular field, or language used to represent specific terms within a field to those with a particular interest.

Although jargon and slang can both be used to exclude non–group members from the conversation, the intention of jargon is to optimize conversation using terms that imply technical understanding. On the other hand, slang tends to emphasize social and contextual understanding.

The expression "down size" is an example of jargon, while the adjective "gnarly" is an example of slang.

"Down size" originated from 1990's era corporate jargon, as a euphemistic way to talk about layoffs.

"Gnarly", by contrast, originates from off-roaders, talking about the most treacherous area of a mountain, which likely would have gnarls of some kind, but was extended by this same group to mean any kind of intense or particularly daring act.

While colloquialisms and jargon may seem like slang because they reference a particular group, they do not fit the same definition, because they do not represent a particular effort to replace standard language.

Colloquialisms are considered more standard than slang, and jargon is often created to talk about aspects of a particular field that are not accounted for in the standard lexicon.


(dogs17.gif)

ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』


(renge730.jpg)

『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。



(renge500.jpg)


(girlxx.gif)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿