2014年5月8日木曜日

Delusive Romance


 
 
Delusive Romance

 

(love128b.jpg+heart121.gif)


(foolw.gif)

Rejuvenated with floral aroma,

scents and fresh Spring air‏!



(plum02.jpg)

From: denman@infoseek.jp
To: diane705@yahoo.ca
cc: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Thurs., April 10, 2014 5:42AM
Pacific Daylight Saving Time

Hi Diane,

How are you doing?
We've got a nice sunny Spring day, haven't we?
I really enjoyed walking to the central library this morning while watching tiny pink flowers on Haro Street.
Rejuvenated with floral aroma, scents and fresh Spring air, I've just finished writing an article just for you.
It is called "Another Cinderella."

Please click the following link:


(cindy003.jpg)

"Another Cinderella"

I hope you'll enjoy the above article!

In any case, I came up with another DVD and viewed "The Great Gatsby."


(gatsby01.jpg)



As you know, Diane, the original story was written in 1925 by the world famous writer---F. Scott Fitzgerald.


(fitzgerald.jpg)

This one is a quite old novel, but I've heard its title so many times since my high school days in Japan.
I certainly know that there are at least seven adaptations:

•The Great Gatsby (1926 film), a silent film starring Warner Baxter and Lois Wilson

•The Great Gatsby (1949 film), starring Alan Ladd and Betty Field

•The Great Gatsby (1955), "Robert Montgomery Presents" television episode starring Robert Montgomery and Phyllis Kirk

•The Great Gatsby (1974 film), starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow

•The Great Gatsby (opera), a 1999 opera composed by John Harbison

•The Great Gatsby (2000 film), a TV film starring Toby Stephens, Mira Sorvino and Paul Rudd

•The Great Gatsby (2013 film), a Baz Luhrmann film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan

How come I haven't seen any of the above?
...probably because the novel is too famous.
F. Scott Fitzgerald is a big name and I don't like big names, which usually give me an impression of difficulty in understanding the writers and their works.

At the moment, 106 people are waiting for the DVD, thought there are 79 copies at VPL.
In any case, I viewed the 2013 film.
So I jotted down the following comment:


(lib40506.png)


(gatsby04.jpg)

Although the film received mixed reviews from critics, a granddaughter of Fitzgerald praised the style and music of the film.

One critic says that the film emphasizes visual splendor at the expense of its source material's vibrant heart.

Another says that the elaborate production designs were a misfire and what was "intractably wrong with the film is that there's no reality to heighten; it's a spectacle in search of a soul."

Yet another says that Baz Luhrmann (co-writer & director) is exactly the wrong person to adapt such a delicately rendered story, and his film plays like a ghastly roaring 1920s blowout at a sorority house.

However, I think that the film is fascinating, involving and thrilling.

The actors' performances are so excellent, convincing, emotionally-charged and tension-filled that I could thoroughly enjoy it.

Especially, Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby and Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan are both doing an excellent job of showing those two unique characters.

The title ("The Great Gatsby"), however, is misleading because Gatsby is not great at all.

Gatsby is rather an antihero who stubbornly runs after Daisy without a rational mind.

And Daisy is such a weak-minded---if not feeble-minded---girl who doesn't know what she really wants that she abandons Gatsby at the most critical moment.

In other words Gatsby fell in love with the wrong girl.


(gatsby02.jpg)

He shouldn't try to re-live the past glory.

In this sense Nick Carraway is absolutely right on and says to Gatsby, "You can't repeat the past."


(gatsby03.jpg)

In any case, this is a fascinating and thought-provoking drama.



SOURCE: "The Great Gatsby"
Vancouver Public Library Catalogue


I really like it!

Diane, have you viewed one of those adaptations?

Reading other comments, I gather that the 1974 film seems better than the 2013 version.
Anyway, what do you think about it?

Your smiling Bohemian, Kato
with a lot of love


(kato3.gif)





So, Kato, you enjoyed watching the Great Gutsby movie, huh?



You're telling me, Diane.  I enjoyed it to the hilt. Have you ever seen the film?

I'm afraid not, but it seems quite fascinating.  I must look at the film one day soon.

I know you'll be greatly and highly moved by the emotionally-charged acting.

What makes you think so?

Well ... I happened to read the following e-mail last night.


(dianesun.jpg)

Subj:Summer is

just around the corner!


From: diane@vancouver.ca
To: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Thu, Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm.
Pacific Daylight Saving Time

Hi Kato,

Well, well, well ... my skinny Socrates!
You ARE a deep thinker, aren't you?

I quite agree that we often waste our time in idle chatter, and I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty on that account myself.
Often, I will ask myself what the best use of my day will be and, for a great part of it, I do manage to accomplish worthwhile activies ... like exercising, time in nature, contact with friends, rest, reading and contemplating ...


(seawall2.jpg)

BUT there is still wasted slack time that's for sure.
...guess it's a dance we all have to learn---the dance of living a worthwhile life, don't you think?


(breakup5.gif)

"Net Love"

 Wednesday, June 29, 2011


I loved the above article ... very thoughtful.
I'm sure that chatroom lovers can eventually learn to love each other, while face-to-face might produce the opposite affect.

But when you think about it, a chatroom lover can't hold your hand, or kiss you or hold you or go with you to a movie very well now, can they?!


(bearhug05.jpg)

Nothing beats a face-to-face even thought there are no guarantees it will work out ... no guarantees either way, so might as well go for the real McCoy, I'd say.

Most chatroom love would be pseudo-love, I'm guessing.
Ah, it's all so very interesting, anyway.

Thanks so much for the above article, kiddo,


(dianelin3.jpg)

Love, Diane ~



SOURCE: "Complicated Love"
(July 5, 2011)



Well, well, well ... my skinny Socrates!  Did I send you the above mail three years ago?  Time flies by, doesn't it?



Yes, it does indeed.  I wrote about Net love at the time.  As you say, Diane, nothing beats a face-to-face even thought there are no guarantees it will work out ... no guarantees either way, so might as well go for the real McCoy... You're absolutely right on.

You're now talking about a complicated love in the movie, huh?

Yes, I am, but actually, Gatsby's love isn't so complicated. It is rather straightforward yet obsessive.

How obsessive?

Take a look at the following clip.  Jordan Baker is talking about Gatsby's obsessive love to Daisy.


(gatsby05.jpg)





So, Kato, you don't like obsessive love, do you?



Yes and no... It all depends.

How do you mean?

I think Daisy is happily married, but she doesn't realize it simply because her life becomes routine.  So she might be searching for some excitement. In due course, she meets Gatsby.


(gatsby06.jpg)





Daisy tells Gatsby that she's been loving him, but I think she just says so simply because she thinks she is supposed to say so in such an occasion.



Then what will happen?

Naturally, Gatsby believes her and confronts her husband.


(gatsby07.jpg)





So, Kato, you're saying that Daisy doesn't really love Gatsby, aren't you?



Well, she isn't so sure about anything in the first place.  That's the reason I wrote, "Daisy is such a weak-minded---if not feeble-minded---girl who doesn't know what she really wants."

Did Gatsby love her from the bottom of his heart?

I think he did.  After all, Daisy abandons Gatsby at the most critical moment, and the final scene will follow.


(gatsby08.jpg)





I think Daisy is a trouble maker.  In other words Gatsby fell in love with the wrong girl.



(laugh16.gif)

【Himiko's Monologue】


(himiko22.gif)

Jay Gatsby is a young, mysterious millionaire with shady business connections.

Later, he is revealed to be a bootlegger.

Originally from North Dakota, Gatsby is obsessed with Daisy Buchanan, whom he had met when he was a young officer stationed in the South during World War I.

The character is based on the bootlegger and former World War I officer Max Gerlach, according to "Some Sort of Epic Grandeur"---Matthew J. Bruccoli's biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Gatsby is said to have briefly studied at Trinity College, Oxford in England after the end of World War I.

Gatsby seems to be a man of complicated desire and ambition.

Exactly what kind of person is Jay Gatsby?

Here is a psychoanalysis of Jay Gatsby by Jared DeFife, Assistant Professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory University.



In any case, I'd like to meet my "Gatsby"---a decent man in my future life.

How come I'm always a loner?

I wish I could meet a nice gentleman at the library in my town as Diane met Kato.

Well, they say, there is a way where there is a will.

I hope Kato will write another interesting article.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...


(hand.gif)


(renge400.jpg)



If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





(juneswim.jpg)

"Go Bananas"

"Manwatching"

"Stanley Boardwalk"

"With Your Tiger"

"A Second World"

"Asexual Thought"


(biker302.jpg)

"Stanley 125 Years"

"Sushi @ the Globe"

"Peace@Syria & Pentagon"

"Sweet Memory"

"Unforgettable Movies"

"Typhoon 26"

"Great Luck"

"Diane@World"

"Diane@Spam"

"Sabina"

"Happy New Year"

"Merange & Sabina"

"Beauty in Spa"

"Love @ e-reading"

"Troublesome Slang"

"World Family"

"Mari's Bagels"

"Love & Loyalty"

"Another Cinderella"

"Amazing Two-legged Pooch"



(surfin2.gif)


(bare02b.gif)

Hi, I'm June Adames.

Kato seems to prefer the 1974 version, but I like the 2013 version better.

In any case, here is the trailer of the 1974 version.



The rights to the novel were purchased in 1971 by Robert Evans so that his wife Ali MacGraw could play Daisy.

After MacGraw left Evans for Steve McQueen, however, Evans considered other actresses for the role, including Faye Dunaway, Candice Bergen, Natalie Wood, Katharine Ross, Lois Chiles, Cybill Shepherd, and Mia Farrow.

Eventually Farrow was cast as Daisy and Chiles was given the role of Jordan.

Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, and Steve McQueen were considered for the role of Gatsby but they were rejected or declined the offer.

Beatty wanted to direct the film.

Nicholson didn't think that MacGraw was right for the role of Daisy, who was still attached when he was approached.

Farrow was pregnant during the shooting and the movie was filmed with her wearing loose, flowing dresses and in tight close-ups.

ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』


(renge730.jpg)

『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。



(bikini901b.jpg)


(dogs17.gif)


(girlxx.gif)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿