2012年7月25日水曜日

A Thread of Destiny

A Thread of Destiny
 
 








(dianef02.jpg)

Subj:Oh, you made me

nostalgic, kiddo!



(halifax2.jpg)


(halifax1.jpg)

Halifax

From: diane@vancouver.ca
To: barclay1720@aol.com
Date: Mon, Jul 9, 2012 7:50 pm
Pacific Daylight Saving Time




Hi Kato,

I enjoyed the following article.

"Halifax to Vancouver"

(July 9, 2012)


Wow! You are really making me nostalgic now.
I do see the similarities between Halifax and Vancouver now that you point them out.

Point Pleasant Park and Stanley Park do share commonalities, as do Lost Lagoon and the Public Gardens in Halifax.


(halifax10.jpg)

Point Pleasant Park

I wonder if Point Pleasant Park has a real live beaver in one of its lakes?
I went to check out our resident beaver in Beaver Lake yesterday.
Saw his or her lodge, but apparently the beaver doesn't come out and start working until dusk each day.


(beaver2.jpg)

I enjoyed a wonderful article and photos in Saturday's Vancouver Sun.
It looks like the beaver has been in the lake for four years now, most likely coming from North Vancouver's Capilano Watershed area, braving the currents and freighters in Burrard Inlet and shuffling his or her way up Beaver Creek to the Lake.

One of these days I hope to see the beaver in person.
With this lovely weather, it's easy and fun to take a stroll in Stanley Park more regularly, don't you think?





You're right about preferring the weather here to the weather in Halifax.
But some days I question even that as you can imagine.

I came out here in Vancouver on my own when I was only 21 yrs. old.
I had finished business college and had already had two fairly good jobs, but I was seeking adventure and a westcoast life.
I did stop briefly in Toronto where my older brother lived in a really cool hippie house, and considered living there, but decided to go for bust.


(yorkville2.jpg)

I loved it immediately and made lots of friends.
Eventually my older brother moved out from Toronto and my younger brother moved out from Halifax.
Then my parents decided that, if the kids were all going to live in Vancouver, they should just come out as well.
Except for my older brother, we all settled here in Vancouver, quite happily.

Thanks for this, very well put together kiddo,


(dianelin3.jpg)

Love, Diane ~





So, Diane, you've enjoyed a bit of hippie lifestye in Toronto, have you?



Yes, I have.  Have you been to Toronto, Kato?

Toronto was my first destination in Canada.

No kidding!

Actually, I wrote the following artcle.


(makatigal.jpg)

"Don Juan Spammer in Makati"

【マカティの不倫スパマー】

(April 19, 2012)




Kato, I can't read Japanese.



Well... I translate the related passage for you...




Hey, Don Juan Spammer!  You've got a filipino friend living in Toronto, haven't you?



Kato, how the heck do you know that?

...'Cause your spam is advertising the following site.


(liv20418b.gif)



This site is selling auto parts made in Canada.  Your filipino buddy asked you to send a lof of spam for the above site, didn't you?



Jeez...Kato, you're a darn smart ass, aren't you?

Actually, I lived in the Danforth area in Toronto for three years.  This Danforth area is called "Greektown" because many Greeks live over there.

2010 Taste of the Danforth:

Greek Festival






As a matter of fact, this district is the third-largest Greek community in the world, after the Greek mainland and Melborne.



So what?

Well... Part of the "Greektown" is a philippine community, where a filipino friend of mine lives.

Oh, yeah? ... To tell you the truth, Kato, my buddy lives near Pape Station.


(pape02.jpg)
Pape Subway Station



Kato, do you know the area?



Yes, of course, I do.  Actually, I used to live near the station---two blocks away to the south.


(42cavell.jpg)

42 Cavell Avenue, Toronto



This is the house I lived for three years.



I know the area.

You gotta be kidding!

'Cause I went to Jones School to learn English with my buddy.

Me, too.  What a coincidence!

I wish I could've met you, Kato.

I'd rather not.




SOURCE: "Don Juan Spammer in Makati"




So my mail made you nostalgic, didn't you?



You're telling me, Diane.

What is Jones School?

It was an elementary school, which seems to have been converted to a community center. In the old days, new immigrants learned English at the school free of charge.


(cavellmap3.gif)



It is called "Adult Centre," isn't it?



...seems like it.  The house at 42 Cavell Avenue was my first house in Canada.

Do you still remeber the area, Kato?

Yes, of course, the scenery has burnt into my memory since.

Danforth Ave. & Pape Ave.





The Novascotia bank in the above video is my first bank in Canada.  The burger shop used to be a smoke shop in those days.



Did you join the dance in the Greek festival.

Oh yeah!  I loved and enjoyed the Greek dance...  Guess where I moved to next?

To Yorkville?

Not exactly...but close enough...I moved to a boarding house on Brunswick Avenue.


(397bruns.jpg)


(brunswick.jpg)

Brunswick Avenue


(brunswick2.jpg)

Brunswick Avenue at Bloor Street West

Walking Around

Bloor and Brunswick





(yorkmap3.gif)



So, Kato, you quite often fooled around in Yorkville, didn't you?



You're telling me, Diane.  As you mentioned in the mail, Yorkville flourished as Toronto's bohemian cultural centre in the 1960s.

From Hippies to Hedonists,

in Yorkville, Toronto



(yorkville3.jpg)



Driving thru Yorkville





Did you live there in the 1960s, Kato?



Oh no, my days were in the late 1970s, but I definitely enjoyed bohemian culture in Yorkville.

Do you know, Kato?  The old town was the breeding ground for some of Canada's most noted musical talents---Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot, as well as then-underground literary figures such as Margaret Atwood, Gwendolyn MacEwen and Dennis Lee.

Oh yeah?  I didn't know that.

And of course, Yorkville was the Canadian capital of the hippie movement.  Cyberpunk writer William Gibson was living there.

When I was fooling around, some people loved upscale shopping and enjoyed eating at posh restaurants over there.

I see some changes in the old town.

Did you enjoy the film festival while you lived there, Diane?

Yes, of course, I did.

Madonna's Film Premiere

Toronto Film Festival



(madonna2.jpg)





During the Toronto International Film Festival, Yorkville becomes an excellent place for celebrity-spotting, especially in the Hazelton Lanes shopping complex. Most recently, however, I hear the celebrities once seen during the Toronto International Film Festival have migrated elsewhere and are now most often seen in the entertainment district bars and after-hour clubs near the CITY-TV building.


(tiffmap3.gif)



The Toronto Entertainment District is an area in Downtown Toronto, concentrated around King Street West between University Avenue and Spadina Avenue.  Have you been there, Diane?



Yes, I did, but a long time ago.

There are now a lof of theatres and performing arts centres, as well as homes of Toronto's four major-league sports teams.  And of course, this area is home to most of the nightclubs in Toronto.

Nightlife in Toronto





Oh, kato, you made me nostalgic again.



You know what, Diane?

Tell me.

I think both of us are here in vancouver by destiny.

By destiny? ... Why is that?

You see, Diane, we were supposed to meet in Toronto, but for some reason, we didn't.  Then you went to Faro up north, but I spent too much time in Yellowknife. So we couldn't meet, either. Then, when I went to Halifax, you were already gone a long time ago.  And at last in Vancouver, we met.

It was just by chance, Kato.

I'd like to think, we're somehow tied by a thread of destiny.

I didn't know you're such a romantic man, Kato.

Now, you know that...Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ...





【Himiko's Monologue】



What a beautiful city Toronto is!
I visited Vancouver, but I've never been to Toronto.
I wish I were there.

I'd like to have a memorable time at one of the best cafes in Toronto.

Toronto's Best Cafes



In any case, I hope Kato will write another interesting article soon.
So please come back to see me.

Have a nice day!
Bye bye ...








If you've got some time,

Please read one of the following artciles:





"Hello Diane!"

"I wish you were there!"

"Jane Eyre"



"Jane Eyre Again"

"Jane Eyre in Vancouver"

"Jane Eyre Special"

"Love & Death of Cleopatra"

"Nice Story"



"Scrumdiddlyumptious"

"Spiritual Work or What?"

"What a coincidence!"



"Wind and Water"

"Yoga and Happiness"

"You're in a good shape"



"Hellelujah!"

"Ecclesiophobia"

"Uncorruptible"

"Net Travel & Jane"



"Net Love"

"Complicated Love"

"Electra Complex"

"Net Début"

"Inner World"



"Madame Riviera and Burger"

"Roly-poly in the North"

"Amazing Grace"

"Diane in Paris"

"Diane in Montmartre"



"Diane Well Read"

"Wantirna South"

"Maiden's Prayer"

"Bandwidth"

"Squaw House and Melbourne Hotel"



"Tulips and Diane"

"Diane in Bustle Skirt"

"Diane and Beauty"

"Lady Chatterley and Beauty"

"Victorian Prudery"



"Diane Chatterley"

"From Canada to Japan"

"From Gyoda to Vancouver"

"Film Festival"

"Madame Taliesin"

"Happy Days"

"Vancouver Again"

"Swansea"



"Midnight in Vancouver"

"Madame Lindbergh"

"Dead Poets Society"

"Letters to Diane"

"Taliesin Studio"



"Wright and Japan"

"Taliesin Banzai"

"Memrory Lane to Sendai"

"Aunt Sleepie"

"Titanic @ Sendai"

"Birdcage"


(sylvie121.jpg)

"Roly-poly in the wild"

"Silence is dull"

"Zen and Chi Gong"

"Piano Lesson"

"Dangerous Relation"

"Electra Complex"


(juneswim.jpg)

"Covent Garden"

"Fatal Relation"

"Notre Dame"

"Anne Frank"

"Biker Babe"

"Diane Girdles the Globe"

"Diane in Casablanca"

"Infidelity Neighbourhood"

"Forest Bathing"

"Enjoy Ramen!"

"Sex, Violence, Love"

"Halifax to Vancouver"






Hi, I'm June Adams.

Since I've got a lot of friends in Toronto,

I visited the city so many times.

Have you been there?

This is Toronto.



Especially I like the Beaches around Toronto.



Some day, I hope you and I will meet on one of the beaches.




ところで、愛とロマンに満ちた

レンゲさんのお話をまとめて

『レンゲ物語』を作りました。

もし、レンゲさんの記事をまとめて読みたいならば、

次のリンクをクリックしてくださいね。

『愛とロマンのレンゲ物語』



『軽井沢タリアセン夫人 - 小百合物語』

とにかく、今日も一日楽しく愉快に

ネットサーフィンしましょうね。

じゃあね。




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿